Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Self-frosting Nutella cupcakes

I'm gonna be really honest with you.... I'm not particularly taken by these cupcakes. Why do I post the recipe  you ask? Because from the moment I baked these all I've heard is: "Mommy, can I have a Nutella-cupcake? Mommy, when are you gonna make those Nutella-cupcakes again? Those were reeeeaaally yummy." Yep, that's right... these cupcakes were an instant hit with my girls and that is why I'm posting the recipe.

It's basically a vanilla cupcake with a swirl of Nutella on top. I have to admit that I had a lot of trouble with swirling in the Nutella. The Nutella was much thicker than the batter. It was a bit too cold. So instead of self-frosting it became self-filling... Some of the Nutella stayed on top, but most of it just sunk into the batter and stayed there... hence: self-filling. But I guess that's what made this cupcake so popular with my girls. You start eating a cupcake and then suddenly there is a lovely filling of Nutella, what kid can resist that?

The next time I'm making sure the Nutella is softer so I can actually swirl the Nutella in!

I found this recipe over on Baking Bites, it is an adaptation of a recipe from Donna Hay.
Oh, in the comments over on Baking Bites, some people found the cupcakes to dry. There was some discussion over the amount of flour. In order to make sure I had the right amount I sifted the flour above a scale until I had the right amount. Works great! If you want to use cups, there is a big difference between 1 3/4 cup flour before it is sifted and 1 3/4 cup of sifted flour, so it works better to sift and then measure.

Recipe

Self-frosting Nutella Cupcakes

Yield: 12 cupcakes

Ingredients:

140 gram (10 tablespoons) butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
200 gram (1 3/4 cup) sifted flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
About 1/3 cup Nutella

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 170ºC (325ºF).

Fill a tray for 12 muffins with paper liners.

Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).

Add the eggs one at a time, beating until fully incorporated.

Add the vanilla and stir.

Add the flour, salt and baking powder and stir until well combined.

Fill the muffin tins 3/4 full. Spoon 1 1/2 teaspoon on top of each muffin. With a toothpick swirl in the Nutella, making sure to fold a bit of batter up over the Nutella.

Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. But if you can't wait that long....remember that the Nutella will be very hot! So try to keep it away from your kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment