Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A way to use left-over egg whites: egg white cake

I'm sure everyone knows this situation: you just made ice cream or zabaglione and are left with quite a few egg whites... what do you do? Make another pavlova or meringues again? Or do you want to try something new and different?

If you want to try something different I have a great recipe! I had a whole bunch of egg whites left over after making Strawberry Ice Cream and was not in the mood for meringues. So I searched for an alternative. I found an egg white cake recipe over on Nami-Nami and the idea appealed to me.

When reading the recipe however I noticed there was nothing in there to give it flavour, so I adapted it by adding vanilla and lemon zest. And boy, was I glad I did. The vanilla and lemon elevated this cake from just a cake into a wonderful, flavourful cake. It was absolutely delicious.

I had planned to pour ganache over the cake but in the end decided not to, because it was unnecessary. I'll definitely be making this cake more often when I'm stuck with left-over egg whites! It is a very versatile cake. Instead of adding vanilla and lemon you could add about anything you like. So if your in the mood for something else, just do it!

Recipe

Egg White Cake

6 large egg whites
250 gram caster sugar
160 gram flour
1 heaped tablespoon potatostarch or cornflour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla-extract
Zest of 1 lemon
100 gram melted butter, slightly cooled

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 180˚C (350˚F).

Whisk the egg whites with 2 tablespoons of sugar until thick and pale and very foamy.

Mix the rest of the sugar with the flour, potato starch and baking powder, then sift into the egg mixture and fold in gently.

Fold in the cool melted butter, the vanilla and the lemon zest.

Pour the batter into a buttered bundt-form and bake for 30-40 minutes.

Test with a wooden toothpick to see if it is done.

Cool slightly before turning out of the cake tin.

No comments:

Post a Comment