Sunday, May 29, 2011

Buttermilk Chive Biscuits

In my quest for finding a great bun/roll/anything I stumbled upon a recipe for Buttermilk Chive Biscuits. Now I know that it is not very bready, but it sounded great, so I thought I'd give it a try! I had al the ingredients on hand and set to work.

Now one thing you should now is that where I come from, there are no such things as biscuits.... well we have biscuits, but those are sweet cookies, something completely different. So I had no idea what the dough should look like, how it's consistency should feel, no prior experience, etc. etc., you get the picture.

I started making the dough and it al went fine, but when I turned it out an a floured surface I discovered that it was actually more a batter than a dough. So I was unable to cut rounds out of it. I have no idea what went wrong and as I have no idea how the dough is supposed to be I can't fix it. I decided to just use really big spoons and sort of shape the biscuits on the baking sheet. This worked fine for me, because once they were baked, they were amazing! The taste and structure were great. The buttermilk really adds a depth to these things.

I'm not saying that my quest is already over, but I am saying that I'll definitely be making these more often. Even if they didn't turn out perfectly!

Recipe

Buttermilk Chive Biscuits

Yield: about 12

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
110 gram (8 tablespoons) cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 egg
1 egg yolk (optional)
1 scant cup buttermilk
¼ cup snipped fresh chives

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 200˚C (400˚ F).

Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Whisk together to blend.

Add the cold butter to the dry ingredients and cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse meal and the largest butter pieces are the size of peas.  I used my stand mixer, but this can also be done in a food processor.

Place the egg and egg yolk in a liquid measuring cup.  Add enough buttermilk to measure a full cup.  Whisk in the chives.

Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and mix together gently just until the dough comes together and all the dry ingredients are absorbed.

Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and pat into a disc that is ½-inch thick.  Use a well-floured 3-inch round biscuit cutter and cut out dough rounds.  Place finished rounds on the prepared baking sheets.  Gently re-roll the excess dough and cut out additional biscuits.  Or just scoop the dough onto the baking sheets if your dough is more a batter.

Bake until golden brown and fluffy, about 12-15 minutes.  Remove from the oven and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment