Thursday, May 5, 2011

Miniature Gooey Chocolate Stacks

While looking through "How to be a domestic Goddess", I saw the recipe for the Gooey Chocolate Stack. I had read this recipe quite often but somehow never made it. Then suddenly it hit me. I could make this in miniature, so everyone has his/her own miniature gooey chocolate stack! So when my sister came over for dinner I immediately got to work!

The recipe is really quite easy and everything worked great. I decided to use half the recipe, because there were only five of us and the original recipe is for 10-12 people. I also used cornstarch instead of flour in the creme patissiere, because my sister is allergic to gluten. On the sheet of parchment paper I drew 15 circles for which I used a glass. Luckily for me this turned out to be perfect! I kept the original baking time, because I didn't have enough time to let it cool down in the oven, as our dinner still had to be prepared in the oven....

This is a great dessert and one you can easily prepare ahead of time. Just don't assemble the cake ahead of time, I think it will become soggy.When it's time for dessert all you have to do is spread the creme patissiere onto the meringue discs, sprinkle over some nuts et voila!  It is impressive to see and fantastic to eat. Though if there are children involved it might get messy!

I completely forgot to take pictures, but then again.... I probably would not have survived the lynch that would have followed had I kept this dessert from my eaters that long...

Recipe

Miniature Gooey Chocolate Stacks

Yield: 5 miniature Gooey Chocolate Stacks

Ingredients:

For the meringue discs:
3 large egg whites
50 gram sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar (I didn't have this, so I used ordinary, which worked great)

For the creme patissiere:
3 large egg yolks
50 gram sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 tablespoon flour (or 1 1/2 scant teaspoons cornstarch)
100 millilitre whole milk
200 millilitre cream
50 gram good quality dark chocolate, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons pistachios, chopped

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 140ºC (275ºF).

Line a big baking sheet or several baking sheets with parchment paper. Draw 15 small circles on the paper using a glass, or drinking cup.

Beat the egg whites until stiff, then add the sugar a tablespoon at a time, beating well after each tablespoon. Sprinkle over the cocoa and vinegar and fold in gently but firmly (meaning don't stir).

Divide the egg whites mixture over the circles, spread evenly. If you're up for it you can even use a piping bag.

Bake for 1 hour, turn the oven off and leave the meringues in the oven until cool. Or you can just take them out after the hour.

Beat for the creme patissiere the egg yolks and sugar together, add the cocoa and flour (or cornstarch), stirring well.

In a saucepan warm the milk and cream, then, while whisking continually, slowly pour the milk mixture onto the egg mixture.

Pour everything back into the saucepan, turn the heat back on, and stirring constantly, bring it to a boil.

When the mixture has thickened, take it off the heat and stir in the melted chocolate and vanilla.

Let it cool, but not in the refrigerator. Put plastic foil on the top so it doesn't form a skin. It will cool quicker if you put the saucepan in a sink filled with ice cold water.

To assemble one miniature cake, place one meringue disc on a plate. Spread one third of the chocolate cream on top. Put another disc on top of this. Spread one third of the chocolate cream on top. Repeat one more time.

Sprinkle the chopped pistachios on top.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment