Saturday, May 14, 2011

Madeleines



For years we've had a Madeleine tin lying in a kitchen cabinet, but I never used it. While looking through a cookbook of Donna Hay I read a recipe for Madeleines and thought: Why not?

It is a simple recipe, but one which no sane person would like to make using an electric handmixer. Or shall I say that when reading the recipe I was very glad I had a standmixer. The reason why I was glad, was because you have to mix the eggs and sugar 8-10 minutes. Like I said....I was very glad I had a standmixer I could use...

Also the recipe is for 24 Madeleines, but my tin is for 12 pieces. I decided to just make the mix and bake in two batches. I wouldn't do that again. The baking powder had already started working, so the second batch tasted not as good as the first. It might be handier to just use half the recipe.

That being said, the end result was very good. It tasted just like the ones we usually eat in France, so an instant summer/vacation feeling is at hand!

I made plain Madeleines, but you can easily adjust the recipe. It can be very versatile. You can simply add cocoa powder to the mix, or dip the Madeleines in a chocolate ganache. You can add raisins or raspberries. Whatever tickles your fancy!


Recipe

Madeleines

Yield: 24

Ingredients:

4 eggs
3/4 cup caster (superfine) sugar
1 1/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
180 gram (6 oz) butter, melted and cooled

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF).

Mix the eggs and sugar with a standmixer for 8-10 minutes until very pale and thick.

Sift the flour and baking powder over the mixture and continue to beat at low speed until smooth.

Add the butter and beat until combined.

Grease two Madeleine tins with 12 x 1 1/2 tablespoon capacity holes. Spoon in the mixture and bake for 8-10 minutes until risen and golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment