Monday, May 16, 2011

Thin Crust Pizza Dough

For some time now I've been making my own pizza dough and to tell you the truth.... I had not thought it was so easy... I've tried out a couple of recipes, which all worked out great, but most of them were a little bready and I really like my pizza thin.

So, when looking for another recipe I found one at Smitten Kitchen. What appealed to me most was a picture where she was rolling out the dough with a rolling pin. Most pizza doughs are way too sticky to roll out with a rolling pin, but it looked okay! This opened the possibility to roll the dough very thin! I was sold. I immediately thought of some things I could put on top of the pizza and set to work. I have to say... I was very pleased with the end result. I'll definitely be using this recipe from now on! I did find the dough to be a bit salty, so I'm tuning that down next time. I also doubled the recipe, so I ended up with two pizzas, instead of one which works out better with the four of us.

Recipe

Thin Crust Pizza Dough

Yield: 1 pizza, not too big

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt (or a little less)
3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 tablespoon olive oil

Instructions:

In a stand mixer stir the flour, salt and yeast briefly.

Add the water and olive oil and mix with the dough hook on low speed for two-three minutes.

Put the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turn once to coat and cover the bowl with plastic wrap.

Let the dough rise for 1-2 hours until the dough has doubled in size.

Put the dough on a floured surface and gently press the air out.

Shape the dough into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 20 minutes.

Sprinkle a pizza stone or baking sheet with cornmeal and preheat your oven to it's top temperature.

Roll out the dough and top with your favourite toppings and seasonings.

Bake for 8-10 minutes until the crust is slightly blistered and golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment