Friday, March 25, 2011

Trying to make a dutch oven bread

Yesterday I tried to make a dutch oven bread. And lets put the emphasis on TRIED shall we?

See, the problem was, I made soup for dinner, but I forgot to get some French bread to accompany the soup. So I figured I could try out a recipe I found for a dutch oven bread with herbs. The recipe sounded really easy and delicious. There was just one teeny tiny problem.... I had just run out of bread flour, but as the recipe said it could also be made with all-purpose flour I thought.... why not?

Why not? I'll tell you the reason why not! Because it doesn't make a bread...that's why not! It starts out as a dough, which looks like it's going to make a great bread. It rises just like a bread should.... and when you put it in the oven it bakes like a bread. It looks like a bread, so you think everything is fine! Great! I just made a lovely bread with all-purpose flour.

But then you take it out of the oven and you notice that something is missing.... you see.... it doesn't SMELL like a bread and that should have warned me...but unfortunately it didn't.

I put the bread on the table, cut everybody a piece and THEN I tasted it. And you know what.... It doesn't taste like bread either... Absolutely not. It tasted like something else entirely. I don't even have words to describe it.

So if you ever think: Oh I can replace the bread flour with all-purpose flour. DON'T DO IT. BACK AWAY FROM THE ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR!!!!

Good! Now run to the store and buy some bread flour. It's what I'm going to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment