Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Spicy molasses cookies

I just love food blogs. I have a bit of a cookbook addiction and combined with an unlimited supply of recipes at food blogs I can happily spend an entire day  just reading, drooling over and occasionally actually cooking the recipes I find on the internet. Yesterday I found a recipe for Spicy molasses cookies on the blog of The Pioneer Woman and I decided to try and recreate it. Oh and if you're not familiar with her blog. I sure can recommend it! She adds great play-by-play-photos with EACH recipe! Amazing. Check it out here.

The reason why I say try and recreate it, is because, as the name suggests, it contains molasses and molasses is a product unknown in The Netherlands. We do, however, have something resembling molasses, so I used that instead. Also, the recipe needs Crisco and that again is something unknown here. But I just used butter. You can never go wrong with butter!

And I have to say, the results was quite good. I think they could have been in the oven a little shorter. I had them in for 9 minutes (but with hot air circulation) and they were a little dark around the edges, but the taste had not been compromised! They are still delicious! They remind me of gingersnap.


Spicy molasses cookies

Recipe

Yield: 36

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar
3/4 cup Crisco (or butter)
1/4 cup molasses (or something similar)
1 egg
2 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon salt

Extra sugar for coating

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 190°C (350°F).

Mix the sugar, shortening, molasses and egg together until well combined. 
Mix the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, cardamom and salt together, then add to the molasses-mixture and mix until it is well combined and a dough.

With your hands roll walnut-sized balls of the dough. Coat each ball with sugar (just roll it around in a small bowl with sugar). 

Place the balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Bake for 9 minutes. Keep an eye on the cookies. You want the cookies to crack, but you don't want the cookies to brown!

Now stand back and be amazed by the fact that these might be the best looking cookies you ever made (at least that was the case with me).



No comments:

Post a Comment