Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Split-Level Pudding


I can't remember the last time I had homemade pudding. I really can't. And when I think about pudding it doesn't make me very happy. But somehow, while reading Baking, from my home to yours, I found myself lingering at the pudding recipes. Especially the vanilla-chocolate pudding appealed to me and so I decided to make some.

I think it was the first time I ever made pudding and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The recipe worked really well and the taste and structure are exactly as you would expect. It is a handy dessert because you have to prepare it in advance and of course serving it in one-person sized ramekins never hurt anybody.

Oh, and don't worry... I don't have incredible small hands and don't walk around with chipped nailpolish on my fingers. Azira was kind enough to assist me. And of course for her it is okay to walk around with chipped nailpolish on her fingers.... just so you know.


Recipe

Split-Level Pudding

Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients:

For the chocolate layer:
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/3 cup heavy cream

For the vanilla layer:
2 1/4 cups whole milk
6 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large egg yolks
2 tablespoons butter, cut into 4 pieces, room temperature
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Instructions:

Set out 6 ramekins or pudding cups, each holding 1/2-3/4 cup.

Put the chocolate in a small bowl.

Bring the heavy cream to a boil and pour it over the chocolate.

Let sit for 2 minutes, then gently stir to blend.

Divide the chocolate ganache among the cups and set aside.

Bring 2 cups of milk and 3 tablespoons of sugar to a boil in a medium saucepan.

Meanwhile, put the cornstarch and salt in a food processor and blend. Set aside.

Put the remaining sugar and the egg yolks in the processor and blend for 1 minute.

Add the remaining 1/4 cup of milk and pulse briefly to mix. Add the dry ingredients and pulse again to mix.

Let the machine run and slowly add the hot milk mixture.

Process for a few seconds, then pour everything back in the saucepan.

Put the pan over medium heat and whisk continuously until the pudding thickens and start to bubble.

Don't let the pudding boil.

Put the pudding back into the food processor and pulse a couple of times.

Add the butter and vanilla and pulse until everything is well blended.

Divide the pudding over the cups. The chocolate might come up along the sides, but that doesn't matter.

Press a piece of plastic wrap against the surface of each pudding to create an airtight seal.

Refrigerate the puddings for at least 4 hours.




Source: Baking, from my home to yours by Dorie Greenspan

No comments:

Post a Comment