Monday, September 26, 2011

Soft Garlic Knots


In my last post I mentioned I caught a cold. While writing that post I was positive it was over.... It was not. The day after that post it came back with a vengeance. These last two weeks I have been completely floored by a very nasty sinus infection. It took a while for the antibiotics to kick in, but fortunately they did.

I'm still not feeling up to par, but I've been so bored I just had to do something...anything.... and so I ended up with something that looks complicated but was actually extremely simple to whip up. Soft Garlic Knots.These are great with a big bowl of soup or a nice stew, which is what I'm currently craving at the start of fall!

The dough is a bit sticky, but it helps to have a free hand with flour when tying these up. Don't be scared, it was really easy to make the knots.

Recipe

Soft Garlic Knots

Yield: 10 rolls

Ingredients:

For the dough:
3 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons instant yeast
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup milk
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons lukewarm water

For the glaze:
2 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning

Instructions:

In a standmixer with the paddle attachment combine the flour, sugar, yeast and salt.

Add the olive oil, milk and water and mix until the ingredients form a dough.

Switch to the dough hook and knead on low speed for about 8 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic. It will be a little sticky, but shouldn't be too sticky. If necessary add one tablespoon of flour a time and knead for a short time.

Put the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, turn once to coat and cover with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise for 1 hour until the dough has doubled in bulk.

Divide the dough in 10 pieces. Roll each piece into a 10-inch long roll and tie the dough in a knot.

Take the end lying underneath the knot and tuck it in the center on top. Take the other end and tuck it in the center on the bottom.

Transfer the rolls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Cover the rolls with a clean kitchen towel let rise for 45 minutes.

Make the glaze by chopping the garlic very finely or putting it through a garlic press.

Mix the garlic with the melted butter and the seasoning.

Preheat the oven to 180˚C (350˚F).

Brush the glaze on the rolls. Bake until slightly browned, about 15-18 minutes.

Serve warm.



Source: Annie's Eats

4 comments:

  1. I am glad you are feeling better, I know that sinus problems can really put you down and out for awhile.
    I had saved this recipe from Annies post but have not made them. Thanks for the tasty reminder. Your pictures are making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know you are feeling better. Actually cooking/ baking can be sort of therapeutic!! The garlic knots look absolutely beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're totally over your cold this time! Your bread knots look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete