Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Peach Ice Cream


We brought with us from France about a truckload of peaches, all of which had to be eaten in the course of three days. So what do you do when you've eaten all the peaches you can eat? That's right! You turn the peaches into something different. For instance.... Peach Ice Cream!

Now, I have to say that the weather here is terrible. It is almost like fall has come really, really early. But that doesn't stop me from making ice cream! I love ice cream all year round. I think it is one of the foods you can wake me up for at night.

I found the recipe in The Perfect Scoop (again). This book it starting to be really special to me... I'm definitely developing an intimate relation with it! I made one alteration: I reduced the amount of water to 1/4 cup, because I like my ice creams creamy. This worked out perfectly, because the peaches contain a lot of water also.

So without much further ado I give you: Peach Ice Cream.

Recipe

Peach Ice Cream

Yield: about 1 quart (or 1 liter)

Ingredients:

1 1/3 pounds (600 gram) ripe peaches (about 4 large peaches)
1/4 cup (60 ml) water (or 1/2 cup (125 ml))
3/4 cup (150 gram) sugar
1/2 cup (120 gram) sour cream
1 cup (250 ml) heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
A few drops freshly squeezed lemon juice

Instructions:

Peel the peaches, remove the pits and slice them into chunks.

Put the peaches in a medium, nonreactive saucepan and cook them with the water over medium heat. Cover the pan, stir occasionally, until the peaches are soft and cooked through, about 10 minutes.

Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the sugar and let the mixture cool to room temperature.

Purée the mixture in a blender or foodprocessor with the rest of the ingredients until almost smooth but slightly chunky.

Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator.

Freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Enjoy!


Source: slightly adapted from The Perfect Scoop, David Lebovitz

No comments:

Post a Comment