Friday, April 15, 2011

Simple Lemon Cupcakes

I had a lemon left over and didn't really know what to do with it, so I started to google. I found a couple of recipes for different sort of lemon cupcakes and although the idea appealed to me...I was feeling a bit lazy and not in the mood to make a lemon curd or a difficult frosting. So in the end I decided I could just use my basic cupcake recipe and add some lemon. I did the same with the frosting. And I have to say... I liked the end result. The cupcakes had a very mild lemon flavor and the frosting was spectacular! Sweet and tang at the same time. I couldn't stop eating it. I made the frosting deliberately thin and pricked holes in the top of the cakes so the frosting could sink into the cupcakes.

Recipe

Lemon Cupcakes

Ingredients:

125 gram (1 stick and 1 tablespoon) soft butter
125 gram (2/3 cup) sugar
2 large eggs
125 gram (1 1/8 cup) self raising flour
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
Icing sugar

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).

Mix the butter and the sugar until creamy and fluffy.

Add the lemon zest then add one egg and a spoonful of flour and mix thoroughly. Add the other egg with a spoonful of flour and mix again thoroughly.

Add the rest of the flour, mix well.

When everything is mixed well add in 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice.

Fill a muffin tray with cupcake papers. Fill each paper cup about 2/3 full. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

To prepare the frosting mix some icing sugar with the rest of the lemon juice. You can keep it quite thin.

When the cupcakes are done, transfer them to a cooling rack. With a satay stick prick holes in the top of the cupcakes. Drizzle the frosting over the warm cupcakes and let them cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment