Sunday, May 22, 2011

Pull-apart Dinner Rolls

 

I have set myself on a quest for finding something great to accompany dinners, albeit rolls, buns or biscuits I want to find that one great recipe you can always turn to. So to start things of I made Pull-apart dinner rolls, for which I found a recipe on The Pioneer Woman. Now, the pioneer woman says that these rolls are no-knead, but I couldn't make the dough without kneading, so I'm not gonna say they are no-knead.

The dough, however was quite easy to make, I had to knead quite a bit in the end, so if you have a stand mixer, you might as well make it with that, makes life a little easier. I only encountered some problems when rolling little balls out of the dough... it was a little sticky, so I kept washing my hands to be able to actually roll balls.

These rolls taste great when they are just out of the oven and warm. When they started to cool, I became less enthusiastic... They became very tough and chewy very quickly. It might be a side-effect from using only all-purpose flour, but it could just be my "fantastic" baking skills... I don't know.

So, all in all I was slightly positive but for me this recipe was not a winner. You might like it though, so I'm still going to give you the recipe. Oh, and the amount is massive, so I used half the recipe and it was still to much for just the four of us!

Recipe

Pull-apart Dinner Rolls

Yield: 24 Rolls

Ingredients:

4 cups milk
1 cup sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
9 cups flour
2 packages active dry yeast
1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
1 scant teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons salt

Instructions:

Pour 4 cups of milk into a stock pot or Dutch oven. Add the sugar and vegetable oil. Stir to combine. Let the mixture become scalding hot.

Turn of the heat and let the mixture cool to warm/lukewarm, between 90ºF and 110ºF.

When the mixture is the right temperature add in 4 cups of flour and the yeast.

After the yeast and flour are mixed well, add another 4 cups of flour and stir together.

Cover the mixture with a teatowel and let rise for 1 hour or until almost doubled in size.

When it has risen sufficiently add the last cup of flour, the baking powder, the baking soda and the salt. Stir (or knead) until combined.

Butter 1 or 2 muffin pans. Form the rolls by pinching off a walnut sized piece of dough and rolling it into a little ball. Repeat and tuck three balls of dough into each buttered muffin cup. Continue until pan is full.

Cover and allow to rise for 1 to 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 200ºC (400ºF) and bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown.

Serve warm with lots of butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment